Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #4  
Old 05-20-2022, 01:37 AM
vortalexfan vortalexfan is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by probnot View Post
My first VCR as a kid was a (Panasonic-made) RCA VGT-200 which had the exact problem you described - black and white playback only. Which was how 10 year old me could afford it, but that was ok because my bedroom TV was also black and white. Very unusual, this VCR only had forward visual search, no visual rewind search. I wonder if yours was the Panasonic branded version of my RCA and it was maybe a common issue.

When I upgraded to a colour TV I found out that wiggling the tracking control back and forth would cause the colour to "pop" in. Of course, this had no effect on recording which was stuck as black and white still.

I bet the problem would have been a fairly simple fix with what I know now, such as a capacitor in the chroma circuit, or even just a slight adjustment. Oh well.
You live and learn as they say, I'm guessing it was probably something like that on the ones I had that had the video failure issues as well.

But at that time in my life (I was about 16 or so at the time) I was still just learning how to diagnose and repair some of the basics at the time, such as recapping and replacing tubes in old radios and replacing cords on those radios as well and rewiring old lamps and diagnosing mechanical failures on VCRs (the majority of failures on the VCRs I usually got from people or at the thrifts were mechanical failures such as bad belts for example), fixing old TVs that had vertical or horizontal roll issues (mostly 1970s or 1980s vintage solid state portable TVs 13"-19" or so in size) and that was it.

I didn't get too involved in electrical issues with VCRs or TVs until just recently.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.