Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2023, 01:05 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I'll bet the cap either shorted or became severely leaky and caused the resistor to open. As far as those CC2 sets, I was finding them all the time during the '90s. Now, they rarely show up. Currently, I have a 19" Delta-gun entry level set from '78, a motel set from '79 that has the same chassis as yours, and a '75 space command set. The main troubles I had with them were triplers, bad module contacts, and the big oil-filed cap in the power supply shorting.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
I've been watching this Zenith on the work bench occasionally over the summer and it's been performing flawlessly. Today I decided to remove the chassis from the front cabinet to remove some dust bunnies before putting the back cover on, no big deal I thought. After reassembly I'm now noticing subtle moire in some solid colored areas. Seems to vary with picture content and sometimes I hardly notice it. In particular cartoons bring it out. First thought was did the degaussing PTC thermistor coincidentally die? I don't think I'm hearing the coil ping when I power on, but I'm not absolutely sure. I tried manually degaussing with my GC coil but that was no help. Anyone have any ideas? Picture attached emphasizes what I"m seeing in the green background. There's a horizontal shading or striping, somewhat with a stationary wave, and mostly in solid color areas.


Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 09-06-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2023, 07:41 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Moire started showing up on 14" chromacolor hybrids. If the customer
noticed it we were to touch up the focus, brite & contrast. If an in-line
the G-2 also. If they still complained change the CRT.
If you go looking for it its quite common. Blank stationary scenes are best
to see it. Happens on other brands also, not just on Zenith EFL CRT's.

Test for DGS is with a COLD set. Hook up an ANALOG AC ampmeter on
the AC line or use a Power rite etc. Turn on the set while watching meter.
The meter will swing very high then settle at apx .75 amps with normal pix.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2023, 11:55 AM
Kevin Kuehn's Avatar
Kevin Kuehn Kevin Kuehn is offline
Workin' Late Again
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 3,976
Using my Amprobe on 6A scale I'm getting about 2.25A for 2 seconds on cold turn on. Then settles to less than 1A. Seem reasonable?

If moire is that common I'm gonna just try'n not worry about it.

Thanks again for your expertise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Moire started showing up on 14" chromacolor hybrids. If the customer
noticed it we were to touch up the focus, brite & contrast. If an in-line
the G-2 also. If they still complained change the CRT.
If you go looking for it its quite common. Blank stationary scenes are best
to see it. Happens on other brands also, not just on Zenith EFL CRT's.

Test for DGS is with a COLD set. Hook up an ANALOG AC ampmeter on
the AC line or use a Power rite etc. Turn on the set while watching meter.
The meter will swing very high then settle at apx .75 amps with normal pix.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.