Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #36  
Old 09-15-2024, 12:43 PM
ARC Tech-109 ARC Tech-109 is offline
Retired Batwings Tech
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 611
The magnavox arrived about 9 months after I did in 1970 and I have no idea how much it cost. I was told it was on a "clearance sale" at a dealer on Lake & Cedar. It was quite reliable through the years with only the sweep tubes being replaced, might have been a 6GH8 or two and has countless hours of Saturday morning cartoons, football games and by the 1980's ATARI-800 time until it was replaced with a Zenith S-3 sometime around 1985 and I ended up with what I though was an albatross in my room.
I blew out all the output transistors in the original amplifier rockin' it hard and it sat until 2005 when I pulled it out of the basement and began to sort things out, the real estate crash a few years later got it stuffed into a large refrigerator box and stored until this past July when I decided it was time to get it going again. Back in 2005 I replaced the old amp with a Heathkit AA-100 that didn't have a cabinet, the plan with that was to harvest the iron and 7591's but instead it got a re-cap and bias pot mod and grafted into the set, gotta tell ya those alinco magnet 15's on the tube amp really have some sound to them. The tuner was never that great on sensitivity but did sound good, the AM section was never worth a dime and the EM84 tuning eye is weak. The stereo section is tube hybrid, I don't know if this was a leftover at the factory because it's not the one depicted in the service manual set Sams 1109-folder-1 and I can't find the original tag or chassis stamp.

So right now it's working but there are still a number of challenges to sort out, one is the color killer wants to cut the bandpass amp off intermittently, the horizontal osc starts off very high then comes down with heat and the color is still "shallow" meaning it goes away on areas of the scene with low chroma saturation regardless of luma level. At some point in the near future I will photobomb my imgur page with the internals and various other pics of the set, I did do some damage to the finish of one of the sliding doors that turned it a milky white, I know nothing of wood finishes and will post this damage later on.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 09-15-2024 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.