Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2026, 10:32 PM
old_tv_nut's Avatar
old_tv_nut old_tv_nut is offline
See yourself on Color TV!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rancho Sahuarita
Posts: 7,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCATUBES View Post
...
Sometimes on startup there is a brief vertical flash in the center of the screen, but it's an inch or two ABOVE these burnt-out phosphors so I doubt that caused it...
I'm guessing that one time your vertical flash wasn't very tall and fell on this spot, burning it, but I have to say I've never seen a color CRT burn like this.

Has anyone else seen a color set get a burn from deflection failure? Does this set maybe have a spot killer circuit that's not working?
__________________
www.bretl.com
Old TV literature, New York World's Fair, and other miscellany
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2026, 10:53 AM
vol.2's Avatar
vol.2 vol.2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Does this set maybe have a spot killer circuit that's not working?
That was my thought. I remember watching a YT video about center burn-in being caused by a bad cap that eases the shut off process when the beam collapses, or something like that anyway.

In any case, the burned spot in the center of the screen basically looked like that.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2026, 12:30 PM
RCATUBES RCATUBES is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2025
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
I'm guessing that one time your vertical flash wasn't very tall and fell on this spot, burning it, but I have to say I've never seen a color CRT burn like this.

Has anyone else seen a color set get a burn from deflection failure? Does this set maybe have a spot killer circuit that's not working?
Yeah, I've posted this question in a few places and screwed up spot killer circuit seems to be the leading theory. I'll have to dive into the service manual tonight and read up on that.

At this point I've basically written off the tube as a loss. Since the black spot is dead center, it's going to be very distracting any time there's a solid color in the middle. And its extremely distracting on 31.5khz inputs where there's not big thick scanlines to help hide part of it. But I'd still like to get the chassis working properly to prevent further damage, and also because I've started searching for anyone who might have a dead MM36100/36110 with a good tube that I could use for a replacement.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.