Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Hoffman

This is probably the nicest set of the bunch, it's a beautiful little 10" Hoffman complete with a stand that may or may not be factory but is very nice in any case!

The CRT came up ok after a little cooking, it may not be good as new but it should work fine.

Since it looked like it had been stored well I decided to go ahead and plug this set in, it didn't explode or anything, in fact it had strong static in the speaker and sounded like it would probably tune a station if I had an antenna, there was no hum, there was no light on the screen though so I will have to check and see if the HV is working.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Picture tube.

Lastly this brand new Raytheon CRT arrived at my work today!
Shown here next to the set it's going in.

I bought this from a guy who has a bunch of CRT's listed on the Early Television Site. http://www.earlytelevision.org/info_wanted.html
the listing is a little more than half way down, just use "Find" and enter "Cathode Ray"

I was reluctant to buy something from someone I didn't know but it turned out fine so maybe if you need a tube on his list you can work a deal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Steve K Steve K is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 503
Eric:

That first set you pictured looks like it uses the same chassis that I used in my color wheel project. It may be a Coronado made by Gamble-Skogmo (or at least sold by them). Mine has a variable tuner and the small knobs in the front are left to right, brightness, vertical and horizontal. Check Sams 145-5 to see if it is the same chassis.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 AM
polaraman's Avatar
polaraman polaraman is offline
<--1956 300B
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Cayce , South Carolina
Posts: 1,063
Only 5 sets? There were more to be had and you did not buy them?


polaraman
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 PM
vintagecollect's Avatar
vintagecollect vintagecollect is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 658
These all look like great sets, beautiful hoffman!! Keep us posted on restores!!!!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
Only 5 sets? There were more to be had and you did not buy them?


polaraman
Well... actually... yes!
I passed on a GE Locomotive in nice shape and a Bakelite Teletone with a small crack. There was also a Motorola VK-101 that I would love to have but the cabinet was in bad shape, the feet were also missing and they would be hard to repro.

The Hoffman has a date penciled on the bottom of 5/80! Someone was having this set repaired as late as that.
That probably is why it's in such good shape.

I got it working somewhat by cleaning the HV cage, it was arcing under the 1B3, also HV doesn't make it to the anode unless I bypass the resistor and doorknob, did this by jamming a screwdriver in under the 1B3 .

A little shrunk but not bad considering.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2005, 10:09 PM
mbates14 mbates14 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,016
well, nice score eric!!

looks like you gonna have to start replacing the caps.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Obsolete call letters on knob

I just noticed the channel selector on the Hoffman has the call letters from KNBH (now KNBC) on it. (this set was built Jun 15 1949)

It also has KLAC and KFI on it in the channel 13 & 9 slots.
These are (still) radio stations so I don't know why they're on a TV dial unless you could tune them on the TV?

Re KNBH: I found this on http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/KNBC

"This station went on the air on January 16, 1949, as KNBH-TV. In the mid-1950s, KNBH changed its call letters to KRCA-TV. The station was originally located out of the NBC Radio City studios on Sunset Blvd. and Vine Street in Hollywood. KRCA changed its call letters to the present KNBC-TV in 1960."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.