Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I think the real disapointment from color TV when it was 1st introduced was the expense, the complexity/dodgy reliability, & lack of programming. I've never seen a CT-100, but I wonder how B&W programs "looked" on it. Were they kinda purplish, greenish, or what? IIRC, lots of TVs were somewhat less than reliable like they are today, and, of course, a color set w/3X the circuitry would be even less reliable. Color TV was a disappointment to its backers, as it took til about 1966 before it really took off. I think Sarnoff felt it would have gone off bigger than TV did initially-Seems like I remember reading he thought there would be millions of color sets out there by 1959 or '60. Color TV WAS very expensive at first-$1000 was a LOT of moolah in 1954-that was a pretty decent used car. Even $495 for a cheapo model in '60 or '61 was still not an inconsiderable sum.-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.