Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 AM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
When I was first "noticing" TV sets at about age 8 or 9, most of the color sets were 10-year-old roundies in my neighborhood. A few people had 23" rectangular sets, and one millionaire had a 25" Magnavox solid state console. Most still had B&W consoles in the livingroom, or maybe a 19" Japanese portable color set in the den. Bedroom sets were not common yet.

But the roundie was the "normal" set that I would expect to see in any color TV household. I was really fascinated with the round tube, as we still had a late 50s 21" GE B&W console at that time. One neighbor in particular had a Sears roundie, which she had serviced regularly by Sears repair. I used to be allowed to go to her house when the repairman came, and I would watch him do a repair. In fact, it was one of those Sears guys in her house who taught me to do the gray scale setup. Before that, I was allowed to go and see the Saturday morning cartoons on it.

The roundie was such a big part of my childhood and my beginnings in the TV hobby (and TV repair career until I quit 5 years ago). It is a symbol of a magical time in my life, the fascination with color TV, my envy of color TV-neighbors, and the roundie will always have a special place with me. It is a component of my memories of easier and more innocent times.

Anyway, that's what I have to say about Roundies!

Charles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.