![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Is my Philco 49-1240 missing a tuner cover?
Should there be a metal cover over the tuner to keep dust out?
Phil Nelson Phil's Old Radios http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
None of mine have one.
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
No cover on mine either.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
OK, I'll take your word for it. There are holes in those little triangular tabs, as if something would be attached there, but possibly that part was used in more than one chassis.
Phil Nelson |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
These tuners did not have covers. As I understand, Philco offered a fine tuning accessory that may have used the tabs in the front.
__________________
The world's worst TV restoration site on the entire intranoot and damn proud of it. http://evilfurnaceman.tripod.com/tvsite |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
I spy a bumblebee! ![]() My 49-1040 has none, either... |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm sure you already know that Renovated Radios sells new corner mounts for the Philcos right?
http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Ah, the corner mounts. A couple of mine are cracked and losing stray bits. I was scheming to glue them together in hopes of getting a few more miles out of 'em, but maybe I will splurge and get those repros.
Phil Nelson |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
If you do get the repro. mounts, make sure you reuse the metal inserts. They work fine in my Philco radios but this chassis is a lot heavier - especially around the transformer. Those inserts give the mounts a little more strength.
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
|
It took me a minute, but I see it too, Einar.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Hey, you should have seen the underside -- bumblebees galore! Never fear, they have all suffered the true death.
Phil Nelson |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
That tuner was used in several chassis, sometimes it mounted on the underside or the opposite side and that's what those holes are for I think.
A little dirt keeps the contacts polished up! |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
I would also ohm out the vertical oscillator blocking transformer. I had a bad one in one I did. They are not that hard to find.
__________________
The world's worst TV restoration site on the entire intranoot and damn proud of it. http://evilfurnaceman.tripod.com/tvsite |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|