Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
jpdylon's Avatar
jpdylon jpdylon is offline
<-- sucker for old sets.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Knox County, Tennessee
Posts: 1,675
some cable companies simulcast ntsc and atsc over their lines. Cox and Time warner do it in our area. This way if you have a converter or TV with atsc tuner it will bring it in digital.


Your mileage may vary.
__________________
Jordan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
3Guncolor 3Guncolor is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 312
I don't know of any major cable companies that broadcast atsc (8VSB) on their systems. We only use 256 QAM at the company I work for (Time Warner). We take the stations 8VSB signal and send it through our equipment and convert it to 256QAM. Two reasons why we do it that way as noted our digital boxes can only receive QAM and by us using QAM we can almost double the data rate to 38 Mps for each 6Mhz channel. 8VSB can only do about 19 Mps.

On a different note I went to Wal-Mart today and picked up my two converters (RCA DTA800). I also purchased a set of rabbit ears because I don't have an outside antenna at my home. My only problem was they had no idea what to do with the coupons took 15 min before they learned how to process them.

Took me 10 min to get one of them running in my office with my roundie the thing even works well with poor signal levels from the rabbit ears. At my headend we are using a big UHF antenna for our older 8VSB receivers this little thing works much better then the $2000 boxes if only it had a digital output. I hate to say it but this cheap converter really changed my mind about the whole off air digital conversion thing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,792
For those waiting for their coupons....I applied, by phone, on Jan. 1st. I received my 2 coupon cards in todays mail. I live in the Los Angeles area.

-Steve D.
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
My two coupons arrived today as well, just as I was talking to a friend who got his today. The expiration date of mine is 5/28/2008.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 AM
mr_fixer's Avatar
mr_fixer mr_fixer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 605
Well, i just signed up at the dtv2009 site. my number is up in the 4.3 millions. I wonder how long it will take to get the coupons?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:55 PM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Well, i just signed up at the dtv2009 site. my number is up in the 4.3 millions. I wonder how long it will take to get the coupons?
Most people who are getting their coupons now signed up on the first day of the program, January 1, so it took 3 months to get them. It will probably be much faster for you, but I would guess still at least a month.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,792
Stopped in at a local Radio Shack today. They have the Zenith boxes for $60.00. I assume they charge sales tax on the $60.00. So my out of pocket w/coupon would be around $25.00 per box. I understand the Insignia box at B.B. is the same as the Zenith. Is it selling for less?

-Steve D.
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Steve K Steve K is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 503
My coupons came last week. I just bought a Magnavox converter at Wal-Mart and ended up paying $13.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 AM
fdrennen's Avatar
fdrennen fdrennen is offline
Organist in Residence
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Newark NJ
Posts: 23
I just mailed in the form and started searching for the boxes. My first stop was Rat Shack, the salesman tried to convince me to by a new TV instead saying "That box will do nothing for you, you need a digital set!". Wow what balls!
__________________
"My goal is to live the truly religious life, and express it in my music...My music is the spiritual expression of what I am - my faith, my knowledge, my being." - John Coltrane
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
Mine finally came... I ordered several sets for friends and family, and as far as I know, mine is the first set to come. This week, I'll go poke around and see what boxes are available, and will get one The other coupon of the two, I will use for a second box ONLY IF they let you keep the spent coupon. If they take it, I'll keep the second one as a TV collectible.

Charles
__________________
Collecting & restoring TVs in Los Angeles since age 10
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
Had a salesperson tried to convince me to buy a new TV, I would have probably told him a thing or two and walked out empty handed.

The only problem I had at RatShack was the salesperson had to call her supervisor for instructions on how to do the coupons. She rang each box up seperate and she kept both of the coupons.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Bill R Bill R is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 893
We are not required to keep the coupons. You can just swipe them like a debit or credit card and keep it. You do not even have to give it to the cashier.

Bill R
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
We are not required to keep the coupons. You can just swipe them like a debit or credit card and keep it. You do not even have to give it to the cashier.

Bill R
Just purchased an Insignia brand converter box at B.B. With a coupon and a $25.00 B.B. gift card it was a freebie. I requested, and the salesperson gave me back the used coupon card after she swiped it. I'll save the 2nd coupon for a month or so and see what other boxes show up. I was surprised that a nearby Target didn't have any converter boxes for sale, or, at least, on order.

-Steve D.
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
I was surprised that a nearby Target didn't have any converter boxes for sale, or, at least, on order.
Did the paper with your coupons list retailers in your area? Around here, they are only being stocked at Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, Circuit City and Best Buy.

I believe the coupon website also lists the retailers who are qualified under the program.

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Pete Deksnis's Avatar
Pete Deksnis Pete Deksnis is offline
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 762
FYI:

Your Application Approval Date --- Targeted Mail Date

January 1, 2008 --- 2/18 – 2/29/2008
January 2, 2008 --- 3/3 – 3/14/2008
January 3 - 6, 2008 --- 3/17 – 3/21/2008
January 7 – 13, 2008 --- 3/24 – 3/28/2008
January 14 – 30, 2008 --- 3/31 – 4/4/2008
January 31 – February 16, 2008 --- 4/7 – 4/11/2008
February 17 – 24, 2008 --- 4/14 – 4/18/2008
February 25 - March 6, 2008 --- 4/21 – 4/25/2008



Also, for my second box I've been searching for one with S-video out to feed my mid-nineties CTC-169. Only a Channel Master shows up on Google, but the company apparently hasn't yet placed it on the market. Anyone hear otherwise?

Pete
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.