![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
OK I've been using the digital stream box from rat shack for a day now, and have one criticism: the antenna input does not pass through the box when not powered up. meaning that if you conect the box through the antenna input you have no way to get regular analog broadcasts without a switchbox.
Do any converters work that way?
__________________
"My goal is to live the truly religious life, and express it in my music...My music is the spiritual expression of what I am - my faith, my knowledge, my being." - John Coltrane ![]() |
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl! Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
I believe the link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units very informative it took me a while to find this link I hope it's of use to others.
__________________
"My goal is to live the truly religious life, and express it in my music...My music is the spiritual expression of what I am - my faith, my knowledge, my being." - John Coltrane ![]() |
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Here is how I set it up so I can get both DTV and analog: using (triple - red, white, yellow) RCA-type cables, I plugged the converter into the VCR through one of VCR's AUX inputs (it has 2 AUX inputs; the DVD player already employs one of them). I then inserted a cable splitter into the antennae feed so the "rabbit ears" can feed signal to both the VCR/TV and DTV converter. So now we can receive the analog ABC/Fox broadcasts, and also the DTV broadcasts for the aforementioned stations by switching to the AUX via the VCR. Works well, even if it is kind of a rat's nest of connections, components and remotes. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
![]() I do the same thing with my Commodore 1702 monitor in my bedroom. It has no tuner at all so I just plug my DTT900 box into the front RCA jacks (just two, yellow and white, it is mono so I use the left channel and set the box for mono, I did this with both) and I use that as an ATSC only TV. I just yank out the cords and plug in the Playstation when needed.
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl! Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much |
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Data from the internet today...
Washington, D.C. (June 23, 2008) -- Consumer Reports Magazine has given top scores to four Digital TV converters capable of picture quality that comes close to a DVD: the Tivax STB-T9 ($50), the Lasonic LTA-260 ($55), the Sansonic FT300A ($60), and the Microgem MG2000 ($65).
The magazine gives Better ratings to six other DTV converters that according to them offer a picture better than most current analog broadcasts: the Philco TB100HH9 ($50), the Magnavox TB100MW9 ($50), the Artec T3A Pro ($55), the Insignia NS-DXA1 ($60), the Zenith DTT900 ($60), and the RCA DTA800B ($65). Four converters were rated Acceptable meaning they offer a picture comparable to an analog broadcast but with some flaws: the Digital Stream DTX9900 ($60), the Digital Stream DSP7500T ($70), the GE 22730 ($70), and the GE 22729 ($80). |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
Up to 11 Million
Dear Pete,
Ordered coupons for my sister today, 6/27/2008 . Reference # 11,461,003 . Mail Date : 7/18/2008 . How many I wonder are left ? |
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
As regards the story attributed to Consumer Reports magazine and purporting to review the digital converter boxes. It may be authentic or it may not be. We subscribe to Consumer Reports magazine and these old eyes don't find it in the July 2008 issue. I have e-mailed Consumer Reports for authentification and I will post here any reply that I receive.
Roger |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
As of today, no word from Consumer Reports to authenticate that story with the digital converter box ratings. We received the new August 2008 issue today and the story is not in it. I will post with any further developments.
Roger |
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
Online Consumer Reports
Check their On-Line Report @ consumer reports.org
|
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Thanks WA3WLJ for the verification. Indeed the online report is free at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...es-ratings.htm. I thought you had to pay extra to get this online info - but there it is. The report has almost all the detail one could hope for, but....BUT - You'll have to sort it out: The ranking by picture quality might be the least important factor - to each his own. As the report mentions, these are "minor picture flaws." For this collector, of mainly old B&W's, of course anything related to color adjustments are not relevant - unless I really do try one of those new-fangled digital Colordapter wheelie dealies (captions and crawls are screwed on the old roundies anyway). Very important to me is the layout and readability of the remote - almost a deal-breaker for me. I really appreciate that the RCA has some fairly good contrast - for high-mileage eyes - on their remote buttons. OTH, the RCA box has a universal remote volume control capability that would be great - but only works if your TV came with a remote. But, for my ancient B&W's, it's the DigitalStream that fills the bill. Its remote adjusts the volume right in the box itself - and an aspect ratio button right on the remote - niceties which RCA handled differently. The ability to add a channel (from a different direction) is also important to me. I'll be doing some more "box" shopping and I still have some homework to do. And, it's a bit of a moving target: my DigitalStream is newer than the one tested by Consumer Reports and does have pass through.
I will close with my thanks to anyone who posts their experiences on this topic and makes my future shopping a little more informed. Roger Last edited by dreyfoos; 07-01-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: signature |
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
I bought my first box yesterday. The new Digitalstream at radio shack. I took it to my parents and set it up with some rabbit ears retracted half way in a V. They live just outside of Escanaba michigan. Escanaba is on lake Michigan just north of Wisconsin. Well I picked up the Greenbay channel 3 rebroadcast in Escanaba. Then I picked up WCMV from lower Michigan. Kalkaska right next to Traverse City. That is by the crow flys 121 miles over the lake. That is pretty good DX! Must have been a fluke. Time will tell. Anyone else have any DX reports?
|
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl! Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much |
|
#15
|
|||
|
|||
|
I sent the station a reception report. Hopefully they reply back. I did some looking to see if perhaps there was a translator nearby. But there is not. The local PBS station for me is supposed to be 13 out of Marquette AKA digital 33. I did not receive that but the digital channel 17 aka 27 from across the lake. I bought a Digistream for my house today but only received the one local digital channel. Once I get a tower up with a good antenna it will be fun to see what I can get.
|
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|