Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM
junkaudio's Avatar
junkaudio junkaudio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bavaria (germany) home of beer
Posts: 23
very cool but a flathead is not so easy to restore ,allot of tubes in there too
__________________
a life without music is a mistake
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Steve D.'s Avatar
Steve D. Steve D. is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hollywood Hills, Ca.
Posts: 1,792
Looks like KDAL used every inch of available space for the equipment. Not that they had any choice. You might want to take careful measurements of exactly where the graphics are on the van. Perhaps some tracings of the signage, for reference, before you strip it for body work and re-paint. Anxious to know if the cameras are still in the storage compartment.

-Steve D.
__________________
Please visit my CT-100, CTC-5, vintage color tv site:
http://www.wtv-zone.com/Stevetek/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2009, 04:40 PM
ccsial ccsial is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 2
Julian: I was happy to hear the truck is still out there. How is the restoration coming? I worked as an engineer for KDAL in 1967-1968 and worked the truck with John Harrison. The Rudy you mentioned is Rudy Luukinen, He was assistant chief engineer when I was there. Bob Dettman was the chief.

We used the truck every Sunday to broadcast local Church services. We would set up a Church and do three Sundays before moving to the next one.

It also did special events on occasion. We did special editions of the Town and Country show with Dottie Becker from “Goldfine’s by the Bridge” department store. We also televised an American/Russian hockey game from the Duluth arena auditorium.

I drove the truck sometimes. It had a non synchronized transmission. I learned how to double clutch on that truck.

This is the only picture I have of the truck. It was scanned from a 3 X 5 photo. It will be nice to see some pictures when it is done.

I left KDAL in 68 and went on to start an Industrial electronics corporation. I am semi retired from it these days in Northern Illinois.

Al Holecek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KDAL Truck.jpg (115.0 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Incredible. This has become one of my all-time favorite threads.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 PM
markdi markdi is offline
markdi
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 232
yes - a very kool thread

Too bad there are no pictures of the interior when the truck was
young.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM
julianburke julianburke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 649
KDAL Truck

Hello Everyone!

First I want to thank you Al, for the picture of this van! Do you know about when this picture was taken?

Here is the update of this Dodge. I haven't done much with it yet and a friend of mine who is a good bodyman said he would get into the sheet metal and help with its' restoration. I need to remove all of the equipment inside and clean-clean-clean!! The cameras and cables were not with it when I received it. I do know where they were last seen. Robert Muhich who purchased it from KDAL used it a few times for his broadcasting class at the local college where he taught. He kept the cameras (RCA TK-11's) in storage at the college along with the cables to keep them out of the weather because of infrequent use as it was a bear to "fire up" and use. When he left the college, he forgot about them and no one knows where they went from there.

I have since found two matching RCA TK-11's that I will use with this van. Sure would be nice to have the originals!

When I talked with John Harrison who picked this van up in Chicago from WGN in 1961, it had the original paint job on it which was a mustard yellow color. The paint is fading and some of that yellow is exposing some of the original sign on it and I am hopeful that when we start sanding it down, we will see the original sign! YES, I'll be taking plenty of pictures of it!!!

My only dilimma now is which paint job to use-the existing one which is nice or the ORIGINAL with WGN which has much history?? It was originally used in the '50's to televise the Cubs games from Wrigley Stadium! Most likely it did other shows as there couldn't have been many of these such vans.

What do you people think? Which way should I go here???? Remember, this Dodge van is only one of two vans (all TV vans-not just Dodge) known to exist with all original equipment. It is a 1952 Dodge Route Van and Dodge built very few of such vehicles and finding body parts is very slim. I think it's a neat looking van and it has much promise!

Another thing I found on evilbay was a 1961 book published by WGN of all their history up to that point. With over 200 pages and as many pictures I though surely there would be some reference to this van. There wasn't. To add insult to this injury, I had to pay dearly for this book. Normally they go for well under $20 here and I paid over $50. I just had to know!

Your nut case here, Julian Burke
__________________
julian

Last edited by julianburke; 03-28-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Very awesome find! I have never seen one so complete. Like Steve said, I can't wait to see what is hiding in those compartments! Keep us posted!
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Tubedude6 Tubedude6 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1
When you do restore this, can you get a transmitter and have your own antique TV station?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubedude6 View Post
When you do restore this, can you get a transmitter and have your own antique TV station?
It may have had some sort of over the air studio link. On a microwave frequency?

Anyway, all you'd need is a modulator from rat shack, and set it to channel 3
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
newhallone newhallone is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 524
Nobody's going to be there come February anyways!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
Looks like this amazing find found a worthy home. This is a big deal on many different levels: the fact it is a 52 Dodge van; its history; what came with it. The body/paint transformation will be amazing-this is my business and taking something that looks like this and bringing it back is a real night & day venture. The electronics-whoa, boy! Lotsa recapping! And lots of cleaning. All well worth it. It's a wonder this survived recent high scrap prices.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2008, 07:27 PM
dtuomi's Avatar
dtuomi dtuomi is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 231
Wow
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 PM
ozmoid's Avatar
ozmoid ozmoid is offline
Resident Frog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 111
What a fantastically cool van!
__________________

Nothing outside you can ever give you what you're looking for. I'm gone fishing... see you at the pond.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Fast_Eddie's Avatar
Fast_Eddie Fast_Eddie is offline
Upper-middle fi
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke View Post
So far, I believe this is perhaps one of three known to exist that is mostly intact with all of the 1950's electronics still there. It is a 1952 Dodge Route Van that is also rare.
Rare? Shoot, we're still using those at work!

lol, just kidding. That is really, really neat! I'm glad it's fallen into good hands. Most of that gear found it's way into a trash bin in the 70s sometime.

What a cool project. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Take care,

Ed
__________________
The jet pilots wailed
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Dan Starnes's Avatar
Dan Starnes Dan Starnes is offline
Gizmo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fowler IL
Posts: 645
Very cool! If the engine is not froze up it will probably run. Those old flatheads were durable engines. Even if froze up, it may get loose again via a cocktail.
Dan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.