Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
John Folsom's Avatar
John Folsom John Folsom is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne Florida
Posts: 932
Chad,
Your point is well taken. But you must admit, 15 tubes (plus CRT), is near the lower limit of cheap design, though by no means a record. A Motorola VT71 uses on 15 tubes, though it was much more common for late 40's vintage sets to 20+ tubes to do the job. I was a bit surprised when reviewing my Muntz tube lineup to see 3 video if tubes. Would have expected 2 (or less).

But I looked at a Muntz set from a mid 1950s Riders, and it STILL had 16 tubes. So maybe the Muntz reputation for cheapness is overstated...?

So.... what TV from the 1950s-60s used the LEAST number of tubes to do the job? (NOT including compactron tube sets). BTW, I don't know the answer.
__________________
John Folsom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Steve McVoy's Avatar
Steve McVoy Steve McVoy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,617
Many of Muntz's sets had only two IF stages. Also, he used many fewer bypass capacitors, filters, etc. His total parts count was much lower than the major companies.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
The RCA 8" portable set from the 50's uses I think only 12 tubes (not compactron) plus CRT. It has a power transformer with selenium diodes...uses a lot of 6U8's...it even uses the triode portion of a 6U8 as an audio output stage.
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
maxm's Avatar
maxm maxm is offline
Surrounded by old stuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 371
I have a RCA 14" portable from the 50s (see avatar) that only uses 13 tubes (no compactrons)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
veg-o-matic's Avatar
veg-o-matic veg-o-matic is offline
Huh?
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 454
I was looking through a 1958 Montgomery Ward catalog and they listed a 21" console with 14 tubes including the picture tube, one diode and 2 selenium rectifiers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
These 9" GE's use 10 tubes not counting the CRT.
If you are lucky enough to find one with a good CRT it can work really well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2005, 04:56 PM
muntz guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hey there!! Interesting find. I found this thread searching for Muntz and TV, because I happen to have a fair-good condition, working Muntz projection TV that I would like to sell. I have to confess, I haven't done the research on it yet, so I don't have a clue how collectable it is, or it's value.

It has a tweaked 13" Sony Trinitron (man, those things were great) sitting face-up, with a box on top, that contains a mirror, to a lense that shoots onto another mirror, then the screen.

I purchased it new, about 30 years ago. It is in working order, although I haven't used it for about 20 years. It was serviced just once.

If you or anyone else knows of where/how I could research this, or, is interested in it, please feel free to contact me ([email protected]). I'm in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2005, 11:01 AM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
There was an article recently in Autoweek magazine regarding the Muntz Jet, the car Madman built in the early 50s. Not a bad car, really. Anyhow, it's demise was met when the accountants discovered that old Earl was selling the car for $1000 less than his cost to build it-so he really lived up to his commercials!
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.