Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Can't you just break off the twist lugs to take the cans out? (Not a restorer but used to do this all the time.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Geist Geist is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 350
Hi All;
Bob, take out the little can first, take off all the wires and then straighten out the Twist tabs.. Then do the same to the longer one.. Then take the two screws off of the side of the Bracket, that should give you just enough movering room to Back out the longer cap.. If not, You might have to loosten the Screws and nuts a little on the transformer, to get the last quarter inch of room.. Them moving the Bracket out away from the back of the set, you should be able to slide out the cap.. Make sure before taking either cap out the you can wiggle them out some, and that the twist tabs are not still holding the cap in place..
THANK YOU marty
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Any of you 630TS restorers have tips on removing these two electrolytic cans ? The bracket looks like a PITA to get out since at least one nut is blocked by a can.
I was able to get the larger can out through the bracket and the lower terminal strip with a bit of patience and wiggling. I removed the wires from the capacitor and straightened the mounting tabs. The smaller upper can was still in place at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
I'm pretty sure it's just paint. I didn't really put much effort into cleaning it yet and I expect it could be made more respectable. The same can't be said of the cover over the bleeder resistors on the left. That paint has blistered from the heat and some rust has set in.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Sure, I could break off the tabs except that I plan on restuffing and remounting the cans.

Thanks Marty. I wasn't sure there would be enough clearance to get out the larger cap. These must be a real pain to service if the horizontal centering pot needs to be replaced!
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 AM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 1,130
Bob,

I don't know if you go to a Hamfest from time to time or are a member of a local club. What I did was buy a box of NOS electrolytic cans a few years ago at one of our club auctions. That way, I can just cut off the tabs to remove the capacitor Then I replace the steel "common" ring with a new one. However if one saws the can off, this would not work. I always un-crimp the can and pull the guts. I do really like the looks of a "stuffed" electrolytic can over placing discrete capacitors below. Maybe most of what I have done is stereo tube integrated amplifiers (HH Scott) and there is little to no extra room below deck. Takes me about an hour to do one.

Just a thought.

Glad to see progress. I love these old sets. Who Wudda Thunk that 60 years later, anyone would care about these sets?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Sure, I could break off the tabs except that I plan on restuffing and remounting the cans.
Gotcha. I was coming from the mindset of a half century ago when we were replacing with new off the shelf parts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Geist Geist is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 350
Hi All;
Bob, I took out all of the cans at once, which was a mistake for sure.. But, now I know.. So, I am Paying for that mistake now.. Live and Learn.. And I have all three manuals / schematics, Sams, Riders and RCA.. If, you do have to loosen the Transformer Screws, it shouldn't need more than about a 1/2 turn, or so.. My only thought about talking the smaller cap out first, was that it would give you some more wiggle room.. And since it has a common resistor tied to both caps, it would be easier that way.. Your choice..
THANK YOU Marty
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
47'Plymouth 47'Plymouth is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Laurens,SC.29360
Posts: 233
try Mouser; on page 906 those new 12 mm E-caps too restuff the cans with!!..you can reuse the can to cover up you're restuffing!Jody
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
I probably would have just hacksawed those caps off in place. But I'd have to take steps to protect the wiring I see down underneath, next to the transformer. Then thread new cap leads thru the rubber gasket to the cap terminals. It would look like hell, though
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,826
Thanks for all the tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47'Plymouth View Post
try Mouser; on page 906 those new 12 mm E-caps too restuff the cans with!!..you can reuse the can to cover up you're restuffing!Jody
Yep, already ordered them a few weeks ago Incredibly small, very long life (10,000 hrs), 105C and high ripple current. The best caps on the market AFAIK. Also a bit expensive but I figured this set was worth it.

I've gone back and forth between un/recrimping the cans and cutting them open. Here's an Admiral chassis I'm also currently working on with one of those new skinny caps in my hand for comparison. I used a very sharp utility blade to cut them open cleanly right at the shoulder.

I will be un/recrimping the RCA caps though.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 02-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
You guys are lucky, your 630 had those cans at least, someone had removed them from mine and just wired in loose caps will-nilly, stuffed some of them through the fiber washer to hold them in place, others hanging in space, hacked up the wiring, it was a nightmare fixing it, luckily I had the cans from a junked set to restuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
I just got this 630 from my tech. yesterday. He fully restored the chassis. Interestingly, while the cabinet's fine original condition would lead you to believe it had limited use, the chassis has a replacement CRT, and needed several tubes replaced. It was well used!
This is the third 630 I owned and this one will be a keeper!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I just got this 630 from my tech. yesterday. He fully restored the chassis. Interestingly, while the cabinet's fine original condition would lead you to believe it had limited use, the chassis has a replacement CRT, and needed several tubes replaced. It was well used!
This is the third 630 I owned and this one will be a keeper!
I Love Lucy... Show #69 Lucy And Ethel Buy The Same Dress.

Looks good on a correct era set.

I've got the whole Lucy series on 16mm film.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I Love Lucy... Show #69 Lucy And Ethel Buy The Same Dress.

Looks good on a correct era set.

I've got the whole Lucy series on 16mm film.
Your good!
The clarity is so much better in person on the set. We've all seen these shows many times over, but they are still great classic. Also there is no other early show the equals in picture quality with it. Desi has to be thanked for coming up with using motion picture film on them instead of 16MM kinescopes!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.