Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Those 8" RCA portables from '56 or thereabouts are pretty neat & plentiful, but are sposed to be kinda hard to work on. They are, to my eyes anyway, Tres Kewl....(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
The 8-inch RCAs are good performers, but I wouldn't recommend one to a beginner. Nothing impossible to deal with, but the chassis is cramped.

http://www.antiqueradio.org/rca16.htm

Larger 1950s tabletops with metal cabinets are also plentiful and cheap. I love my Zenith T1816R, which has a big screen and is very watchable.

I would avoid 1940s 7-inch TVs for the time being. The high-voltage supply can be finicky to restore, and the tiny picture tube is not very satisfying to watch, for most people accustomed to watching larger screens.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
Bill and Eric, do you have 47 and 100 sets respectively still in your possession?

In any case, WOW!

John

Sadly, yes at least that many, if you throw in all the 5" Chinese Jellybean sets it's way over that now.

I have a list that I need to update.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
fairchild fairchild is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Binghamton NY
Posts: 6
Phil - that baby RCA must have been a revelation when it came out!

This Admiral has built in UHF - up to ch 83... is that unusual? Cabinet is all metal....bzzzzzzttt!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
So, have you tried (slowly) powering the set up yet?

It might surprise you, I have one just like it that still works and hasn't been recapped.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Kiwick's Avatar
Kiwick Kiwick is offline
slave to 3 equines
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cahill View Post
Vertical chassis, one side of line on chassis, all hot connections for line, b+ boost, filters, rectifiers, hot line, etc., were in easy access. The tubes were pointed to front of set. You had to reach in a tight area to get at tubes.
Chassis tilted backwards.
sounds like the kind of stuff we're having fun with here in Europe!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Ohighway's Avatar
Ohighway Ohighway is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the woods.....in Howard County, Maryland
Posts: 179
You guys are a bad influence on me .............. naaahh, just kiddin'. Fairchild, after getting your message I thought you might get a kick out of the attached pix.

I read these posts and get inspired to dig around in the garage to see what I have laying around. I thought I had a Turquoise/Cream portable... and I do. It's a GE. What I'd forgotten is that I also managed to pick up (literally from the trash set out at the curb) another one, a Coral/Cream model.

The model number on the Coral one is 14T009. Looks very closely related to the Turquoise one, though the model number faded off on that unit. The Turquoise unit has a little flip down stand. The Coral one appears to have it's original rabbit ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coral TV side.jpg (58.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg TVs top.jpg (58.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TVs front.jpg (61.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Turquoise TV side.jpg (58.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Turquoise TV on stand.jpg (55.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
ha1156w's Avatar
ha1156w ha1156w is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 148
I have a green GE just like that one. It shows a faded 14T017 as the model number. Mine never had the legs that I can tell. That's a neat trick!

Mine had lost his badge off the front before I bought it. Is this a part that'd be easy to come by? I know it's cosmetic only, but it'll make it a bit nicer than three holes I'm also looking for some good antenna replacements. There some sort of swivel ball connection that the rods clip in to at the base. Is there a generic cross?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Ohighway's Avatar
Ohighway Ohighway is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the woods.....in Howard County, Maryland
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha1156w View Post
I have a green GE just like that one. It shows a faded 14T017 as the model number. Mine never had the legs that I can tell. That's a neat trick!

Mine had lost his badge off the front before I bought it. Is this a part that'd be easy to come by? I know it's cosmetic only, but it'll make it a bit nicer than three holes I'm also looking for some good antenna replacements. There some sort of swivel ball connection that the rods clip in to at the base. Is there a generic cross?
This old TV stuff isn't really my thing, so I'm unqualified to answer your questions. Here's a couple pix of the antenna on the back of the Coral and cream TV. It sort of looks like the factory installation to me, but I'm not sure. Also a couple images showing the fold up legs and logo from the Turquoise set. Hope that helps. Thanks for the heads up on that model number!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coral antenna overall.jpg (58.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Coral antenna swivel.jpg (62.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Turquoise TV legs.JPG (159.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg General Electric logo.jpg (48.2 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Hey Roger, You are not accepting PMs or messages on your profile so this is the only way I could think of to get ahold of you. I have been working a lot of OT and during the day, I usually work at night, I should return to my normal schedule soon. I work at a school so I can make you a nice book for the Moto just like the original, or close. I will use the blue paper that is close to a match as well. Pm me if you see this, I will need your details. Or send an email to [email protected], thanks
Mark
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.