Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM
hi_volt's Avatar
hi_volt hi_volt is offline
Vintage TV and Radio Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,144
I just carefully cleaned my chassis with formula 409 sprayed onto a clean cloth used to wipe it down. A bit of work, but no risk of getting water into places you don't want it. By far the dirtiest part of my set was inside the high voltage chassis. The ionized air in that part of the set when it is running is a dust/dirt magnet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman View Post
The mirror surface is covered with a layer of dust but seems to be in excellent condition. What do I clean that with? I would hate to damage it with the wrong cleaner/procedure.
In this order,
Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all the dust from inside the cabinet and in the optical barrel and the projection light path. Dust will make the picture look dim and reduce the fine detail as well.

Clean all the dust you can from the concave mirror, the face of the CRT, the corrector plate, the reflecting mirror and the rear surface of the projection screen with a very light brush, camel hair type if possible.

If the mirror surfaces [these are FRONT SURFACE mirrors, so be very careful] have a coating of dust or grime that can't be brushed away, use a good liquid photographic optical lens cleaner and optical cleaning tissue to very lightly clean the surfaces. The corrector plate is most times clear molded plastic and will scratch easily. Clean with the liquid cleaner and optical tissue as with the mirrors.

These sets make a bright picture when everything is clean and spiffy inside.
Good luck with this project!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
I'll try it as soon as I can and let you know the results. BTW, would you have any literature on the optical barrel set up? The Sams info is next to worthless.
Thank you
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
Update

Bad news. The CRT shows a H-K and a G1 short. The G1 short is my real concern. I have tried removing it with a B&K 466 and a Sencore CR168 Big Mack to no avail. About the only thing left to try is using the old (live wire) 2nd anode around the pins. Problem is I don't have anything that old anymore.

Replacing the 5TP4, the bad tubes and recapping just doesn't make sense. If the 2nd anode trick works on the CRT I'll reconsider. My next post might just be an obit for the set.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
hi_volt's Avatar
hi_volt hi_volt is offline
Vintage TV and Radio Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,144
Don't despair.....occasionally a 5TP4 shows up. About 2 months after purchasing my set I scored a NOS 5TP4 on the bay.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Some years ago, I spied a funny tube in a box at a neighbor's garage sale. They had no idea what it was for, nor did I, since I knew nothing of old TVs at the time. They gave it to me. Eventually, I happened to mention this tube to a fellow collector, who said that he could use a 5TP4 and traded a complete television for it.

You never know what's floatin' around out there . . .

Phil Nelson
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-20-2012, 06:35 AM
tvdude1 tvdude1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 501
I have new ones and maybe a good used one from a parts set. Let me know if you decide to go ahead with the project.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
If I can get a replacement at a reasonable price I will proceed. Would you please send me a PM so we can further discuss?
Thanks
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 AM
tvdude1 tvdude1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 501
I found you a very good used one, with a nice white face very little to no burn. Test as new.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
9-PC-41 update

I was offered a used CRT at a very reasonable price from a fellow AK'er. Thanks. I cleaned the mirror and it is in excellent condition.
I hate to do this, but with the cost of the used CRT, the 11 bad tubes, plus all the caps, my money and time will be spent better on another project.
Anyone interested in all/part please contact me.
Thanks for all of your encouragement.
Phil
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Einar72's Avatar
Einar72 Einar72 is offline
Chasin roundies since '79
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 936
I recently acquired an 8PC41, paid over $300 to ship it here, but I have no idea if the 5TP4 is any good. The HV chassis has rodent urine stains and rust near the large ceramic resistor, and the yoke has been chewed through the outer cover. Wish you lived closer!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM
reeferman's Avatar
reeferman reeferman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 591
9-PC-41 project ON again

Earlier I said I would hit all of the pins with some 2nd anode voltage (a last resort learned from the past). Problem is I have nothing with a 2nd anode lead. Doug from Gateway Electronics suggested hitting it with a live spark from a car ignition.
I took a plug wire off my bike, inserted a Phillips screwdriver, and turned the bike on. I let the spark dance between several pins at a time and slowly rotated the tube insuring all pins were zapped.
I connected the CRT tester and when I fired it up there were no signs of a H-K or G1 short, and the emission reads well into the green.
Sure wish I had a working something to put it in for the acid test.
Am I dreaming or is this an early Christmas present?
I'll check it again in a week or so.

Last edited by reeferman; 12-11-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
Wow, headline: "Man fixes TV with motorcycle." Good for you!
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.