Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 11-04-2011, 05:22 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I counted 24, and that includes the non-working DuMont RA-113, and a little MCS 5" B/W set that I got from SandyG.

The oldest B/W is the DuMont. Capacitor replacement is underway.
The oldest color is my RCA CTC-10C, and it works. (since 1975)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Bruce-Did you ever convince that l'il thing to work ?
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Bruce-Did you ever convince that l'il thing to work ?
Well, Sandy, I swapped the tuner from my working MCS set to the one you had, and nothing. The tuner from yours is good, or better, than the one I have. I'll swap the CRT itself and then will have a good working set... to never use in my stereo system!!

I was watching the MCS when analogue TV went away... I'll never forget it.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
marty59's Avatar
marty59 marty59 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 915
I'd have to say about 8 to 9 sets not including the parts and junkers. Space does limit what I have and maybe that's a good thing. Of these, they are either working unrestored/restoring-not finished/need to restore!

Like my Predicta, even though it's operating I'm not sure when it will ever be complete to my satisfaction and lately I've been having fun with my Zenith Z3000.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
I think I have about 350-400 TV's. I am working to get all of the TV's out of a barn and storage unit into a downtown office building, however it only has stairs (no elevator). I probably have about 50 of the TV's moved in but when I get my stair-climbing motorized dolly I can get most of the rest of them moved in.
I physically cannot take anymore hand lifting of TV's or other heavy equipment up the stairs even with an assistant and a hand truck.

I do have a trailer with ramp now which is so much better for transport than a pickup truck or van as no lifting is needed to get the sets on the vehicle.

I really have not been buying any more recently although I saw a rare sight at the Goodwill today, a Magnavox tube type color combo set with good 23" CRT. My back is aching at just the thought of hauling it though so I don't think I will get it.

A lot of of them were given to me at recycling events and I had to just empty the truck as fast as I could to get them all home so some have never even been tested yet for years. Now that I have the place downtown I have a real workshop and real place to set up the TV's and use them.
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
llcvt15 llcvt15 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22
There are at least 45 scattered about on the main floor of my house. The new daily watcher is the 84 Sylvania console, it came for free with remote and seems low hours. The picture is great, and the cabinet style matches the living room. If I could get my floor model TV's up to the attic I wouldn't have six more of those in the garage, not to mention the 7 already in the house. The attic holds all my spare portables, some 20 to 40 I'd say. All together about 90 I guess, most people call it junk. Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Einar72's Avatar
Einar72 Einar72 is offline
Chasin roundies since '79
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 936
I lost count.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 AM
Komet's Avatar
Komet Komet is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varese (Italy)
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I do not know Italian at all, but I think I understand this :

VENDO COME NON FUNZIONANTE!!!

It means "The item does not work!" or very similar, am I correct?
Yes, you're right, but this set probably need a simple recapping. Mivar and other italian brands uses the electrolytical capacitor made by FACON, one of the worst capacitor brands ever
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-07-2011, 03:32 AM
jbivy jbivy is offline
complete novice
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Louisvile Kentucky
Posts: 395
A rough count, im at 13. 14 if you count a g.e chassis with no cabinet or crt.
__________________
"Good morning whiskey, good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight." Hank 3
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Tom Albrecht's Avatar
Tom Albrecht Tom Albrecht is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
I think I have about 350-400 TV's. I am working to get all of the TV's out of a barn and storage unit into a downtown office building...
Hi Chad,

You may well have the record for most TVs procured. Curious as to why you've collected so many sets? I would think it would be impossible to enjoy them, work on them, or display them. And what will become of them when your time is up?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #56  
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
VintagePC's Avatar
VintagePC VintagePC is offline
Tube bug got me 05/2010
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
Hi Chad,

You may well have the record for most TVs procured. Curious as to why you've collected so many sets? I would think it would be impossible to enjoy them, work on them, or display them. And what will become of them when your time is up?
Freebies to everyone here on VK Sounds like a hoarder if I ever heard of one...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Adam's Avatar
Adam Adam is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,383
My number would be much higher if I hadn't moved so much. I just counted up every tv I ever had: 78 B&W, 39 Color = 117 total, only 28 of which I have now.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Recovering TV Horder

Today I have 40 including the 12 or so "new" TVs.

The photo shows a collection of 80 amassed in just 7 years. I had to move to Dallas for a "real job" in 1983, and my parents thought I was gone for good and forgot this rescue operation. I miss the RCA 21" color sets CTC5, CTC7, CTC9, CTC16E and CTC16XL.

Some of which were saved I still have:. Notable is an RCA CTC-12A "Burgoyne" (white french provincial model), which is next for a restore after the Admiral 17DX12.

If you can get dry storage with rodent control, any collection can be saved. Fortunately I have a detached garage and heated workshop, so my collection is rarely the subject of "downsizing" etc.
Attachment 172492

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-23-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
Hi Chad,

You may well have the record for most TVs procured. Curious as to why you've collected so many sets? I would think it would be impossible to enjoy them, work on them, or display them. And what will become of them when your time is up?
I'm not sure I could say why! It is not an un-achievable feat to get them all set up and working. Already I have much greater building facilities than years ago and I will continue to try and expand the areas available to set up the TV's. I literally work on my equipment 7 days a week and have a completely equipped workshop for repair, which you can see on my Youtube channel.

I have focused more recently on computer, typewriter, car, and radio repair but have also this year got several of the TV's completely restored.

There were several opportunities I had to get as many old TV's as I could physically haul and so I did since I had space to store them. They would have gone to the dump otherwise. Since then I really have quit getting any more except for a few given to me and have not been seeking them
out to buy. Even when I was going to estate sales and things there were few still around in recent years.
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.