![]() |
|
|
|
#1
|
||||
|
||||
|
Good luck with your set. I continued on with some testing tonight. The ion trap and focus electromagnet appear to be good. Next, I'll check out the yoke and power transformer.
I also did a little test cleaning. That greenish/grey coating does clean off the caps and chassis fairly easily, but not not looking forward to doing it ![]() ![]() It turns out modern 25W Ohmite resistors are 2" long and will fit nicely using the old hardware ![]() While rummaging around for power resistors, I came across this one in a box that came with the set. It's identical to the existing HOT resistor except it's bad. Perhaps it's the original and was replaced long ago ![]()
|
|
#2
|
||||
|
||||
|
A silly question I'm sure, but how did you ascertain that these components are good?
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Not silly at all. I compared their resistance to the value indicated in the schematic. I can check the yoke and flyback with my EICO 944. As for the power transformer, I figure I'll pull the 5U4s and fire up the set.
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Great Score Bob! Congratulations!
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#6
|
||||
|
||||
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Now onto some cleaning. I'm using a light application of Naval Jelly wiped down with a damp paper towel after a few minutes. Then a little spray of contact cleaner to flush out any remaining crud. I noticed Winky Dink came up with a similar technique recently
![]() You can see how this chassis might have looked when new in the section that was protected. ![]() ![]() Making progress. ![]() The focus magnet and yoke supports cleaned up very nicely too. ![]() I found this label on one of the tubes. That address is close to where I found the set. ![]() Good thing I popped off the HV cage. One of the missing focus coil screws was hiding in there!
Last edited by bandersen; 02-02-2013 at 07:28 PM. |
|
#8
|
||||
|
||||
|
While you have access to the 1B3 socket, check the 1 Meg resistor. Mine measured over 8 Meg.
Dave Last edited by Zenith6S321; 02-16-2015 at 06:31 PM. |
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Thanks for the tip. Mine measures just a hair over 1Meg - the 3.3 ohm resistor is good too
|
|
#10
|
||||
|
||||
| Audiokarma |
|
#11
|
||||
|
||||
|
VERY nice and clean! That might inspire me to try some good cleaning on my sets. My CT-100 has a rather grungy-looking chassis and deserves to look better, for one.
__________________
Chris Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did." |
|
#12
|
||||
|
||||
|
Avoid abrasives. You can get a lot done with isopropyl alcohol, Naval Jelly, and non-scratch plastic cleaning pads.
Phil Nelson |
|
#13
|
||||
|
||||
|
#14
|
|||
|
|||
|
Bob, is that cage "blued steel", some kind of plating or is it just paint? If it is blued, you may try some gun blue from a sporting good store or gun shop. I have found some transformer bells that were blued but somewhat rusty. They responded very well to cleaning and bluing. What comes to mind is a lot of Allied Radio Knight-Kit transformers.
|
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
![]() Any of you 630TS restorers have tips on removing these two electrolytic cans ? The bracket looks like a PITA to get out since at least one nut is blocked by a can.
Last edited by bandersen; 07-30-2013 at 02:00 PM. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|