![]() |
|
#76
|
|||
|
|||
|
In the 1950's/60's in England theft from electric & gas slot meters was the most common crime committed. It was classed as theft even if the slot meter was in your own house, as soon as the coin went in the meter it was the property of the electricity or gas board, & if they discovered the meter lock broken the cops were sent for.
The most common crime committed nowadays is watching TV illegally: if you don't have a TV licence & turn on the TV you're breaking the law & can be fined & even sent to jail, several people are jailed for it every year... |
|
#77
|
||||
|
||||
|
Oh, what Romanians where doing in the '90's with coin operated machines from Western Europe
I'm just saying it, since isn't allowed to talk about criminal methodes.
|
|
#78
|
||||
|
||||
|
Do they still have different rates for black & white and "colour"?
|
|
#79
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yes there is a black/white & colour rates, the colour rate is 146 pounds - 50 pence per year, black & white rate is 40 odd pounds a year. If you have a B&W licence the BBC inspectors come & check you out automatically as they assume you're pulling a scam & are watching a colour TV.
|
|
#80
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
B&W sets in use there ? Do the stores have large B&W sets for sale ? Like bigger than the trucker's portables 5" & so...? Is there a good after market for used sets....? .
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy" |
| Audiokarma |
|
#81
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
The B&W license, probably has to be offered for the few old set owners. |
|
#82
|
|||
|
|||
|
Very few B/W sets are in use now. There are some videos on you-tube where people have filmed the inspectors up to their tricks, they can get a court warrant to come in your house to see if you're watching live TV. If you use a TV for watching DVD's, playing games etc you have to prove you don't watch live TV on it. Very big brother..
|
|
#83
|
||||
|
||||
|
I listened to a talk show years ago and they said in some European countries maybe
even on the BBC channels, that they did run commercials, but they were only allowed to run commercials for a few hours at a time, and only very early in the mornings, or late at night.... Is that true ? I know over here in USA they have 30 minute commercials for some products, and yes there are times when the 30 minute ad is better than some of the regular programing on other stations ! Ha Ha ! It does seem like you guys have a steep license fee, is it for Over The Air tv on antenna or is that include cable ( Good clear picture ) ?? It's a fee per set right or per household ? You know they are kicking themselves in the A** over here for not thinking of that license fee + cable fee + some other fee ! I remember when I was a kid, I thought that pay tv (cable) was tv programs with no commercials ! I remember when I saw cable for the first time and it had commercials I couldn't understand the reason people would get it ! In the NYC market, there always seemed to be plenty on tv. .
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy" Last edited by Username1; 11-11-2015 at 10:32 AM. |
|
#84
|
|||
|
|||
|
There are no ads on the BBC except for their own products...
All live TV, whether through antenna (freeview) cable, satellite or internet requires a licence, of course you also have to pay cable, internet or satellite fees as well unless you're on freesat or free-cable. I myself am on freeview, internet & free-cable so only have to pay the internet & licence fee... The licence covers the house or apartment so you can have as many TV's as you like, we have got 5. (3 colour & 2 B/W) You're also supposed to have a licence if you watch live TV on a computer or cell phone. But you can watch catch-up & you tube without one, it is very confusing... I myself would stop watching live TV & just watch catch-up & you tube but my wife likes the stupid soaps, & she's the boss, lol... |
|
#85
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#86
|
|||
|
|||
|
Not just the BBC, on freeview you've got ITV 1,2,3,4, be, channel 4, E4, more 4, 4-7, film 4, 5, 5 USA, 5 star, viva, yesterday, quest, 3 CBS channels, Notts TV, Plus others including 'plus 1's' that show a channel 1 hour later, plus national & regional radio stations. On free-cable (free if you have virgin broadband) it has most of the freeview channels plus a few more guest channels, of course they all have adverts on them except the 5 BBC channels..
|
|
#87
|
||||
|
||||
|
I always loved top gear on bbc America. Then I discovered I could download the new shows a couple hours later off the net. They were not edited for us standards. What a great show to bad its gone or might as well be since they changed it.
|
|
#88
|
|||
|
|||
|
How do you receive BBC America? When I was in Miami I had a TV with rabbit ears antenna in my apartment, didn't have cable..
|
|
#89
|
||||
|
||||
|
I had satellite at the time which has different channels than over the air tv which is free.
|
|
#90
|
||||
|
||||
|
You always pay somewhere. The ads on commerical channels are not free, you pay for them indirectly in the prices of almost everything you buy.
I'm not claiming that the UK TV licence fee (which goes to fund the BBC) is the best way of doing things but IMO there are plenty of worse ways of funding TV. What we get for our money is a public service broadcaster, without ads, that's also a mainstream broadcaster. Unlike PBS in the US. If you set out to invent a broadcasting system now you certainly wouldn't arrive at the BBC. It's one of those slightly eccentric British arrangements that, despite a lot of criticism and occasional crises, works pretty well. The licence fee works out at abut $20/month which is a pretty small amount for most people. On top of that many people pay a lot more than that to get premium channels on cable or satellite |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|