Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
electroking's Avatar
electroking electroking is offline
a- v- karma member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal (QC), Canada
Posts: 743
The pair of screw terminals on older TVs is actually for a 300-ohm line,
not for 75-ohm. Adapters with 75-ohm input and 300-ohm output have
been around since the early days of cable TV. Some fancier ones had
a toggle switch and an extra pair of 300-ohm terminals to allow switching
between cable and antenna.

Last edited by electroking; 03-12-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: corrected a typo
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
David Roper's Avatar
David Roper David Roper is offline
console lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,986
GE called it a "lowboy" and I was given one identical to the blonde--the one sans bookshelf--when I was 10 or 11. It was then about 20 years old and worked like new. In fact, the indian-giver neighbors took it back "temporarily" for their son who was just getting settled in a new home. I never saw it again--and I still miss it! I do not see these as ugly at all...though the shelves are a little silly.
__________________
tvontheporch.com
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
I do not see these as ugly at all...though the shelves are a little silly.
To the contrary, the shelves were just ahead of their time, GE must have forseen the DVD and made shelves to hold them.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 AM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
What about the Stromberg Carlson console from ?1950? It looked like it was a Frank Lloyd Wright afterthought; parts of it jutted out over top the rest like
some modernistic sculpture in plywood. An exercize in high school woodworking
that got a D--.
Now THAT was an ugly TV set. (reaching for my Nomex under wear... ;^)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Tube TV's Avatar
Tube TV Tube TV is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: At large again ....
Posts: 786
I like it , the cabinet seems low to the floor though .
it might get hard to watch after a while .
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
An' then we have the aggresively ugly Kuba Komet...Beautifully constructed, incredible woodworking, but Lord-A-Mercy....(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 AM
sauuuuuce's Avatar
sauuuuuce sauuuuuce is offline
...In a bottle or a can
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroking View Post
The pair of screw terminals on older TVs is actually for a 300-ohm line,
not for 75-ohm. Adapters with 75-ohm input and 300-ohm output have
been around since the early days of cable TV. Some fancier ones had
a toggle switch and an extra pair of 300-ohm terminals to allow switching
between cable and antenna.
Actually I think i remember those things now that you mention it. When I was a wee lad our atari and antenna were hooked uo through one of those slide switch deals. cool.
__________________
To be as dumb as I appear I would need to gain several 10's of IQ points.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
PioneerGuy75's Avatar
PioneerGuy75 PioneerGuy75 is offline
Pioneer Memeber
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
NO!!!!! I think this one is actually even UGLIER!!!!!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/596527613.html

Bof G.
Makes a great stand for your new TV tho!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
The set listed on Craigslist is almost like the one we had when I was a kid. Ours didnt have the legs under it, but it did have the same knobs, etc.

Those were the days...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 AM
VintageJoe VintageJoe is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9
I have been looking for the upright mahogany version of that blonde set for years. Anyone know where one can be found? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 03-23-2008, 02:10 PM
julianburke julianburke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 649
What is Ugly?

Opinions such as this mean absolutely nothing to me. What is or what isn't ugly is subjective and non productive. I really don't like looking at the same stuff all of the time anyway. I have seen some outstanding sets out there that some of you have really dished in the past and said nothing. (Like you would know REAL style anyway!!) What's that you're driving-a 1972 Ford Maverick or that Chevette you went to the prom in that you still drive today?

I have a great idea, let's put up some current pictures of yourselves and lets vote on who's the uglest! I guarantee we would get action on this one!! Let's see, if you're voted #1 UGLY and you have a wife, does she know this or think so?
__________________
julian
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I would, but I'm so damn ugly, I broke the camera...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-23-2008, 05:16 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke View Post

I have a great idea, let's put up some current pictures of yourselves and lets vote on who's the uglest! I guarantee we would get action on this one!!
Quote:
but I'm so damn ugly, I broke the camera.
Your mama must have hit you with an ugly stick!


Here's one of me after photoshop was done (my head planted inside this picture).
Attached Images
File Type: png wa2ise.png (19.0 KB, 114 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-24-2008, 01:06 AM
David Roper's Avatar
David Roper David Roper is offline
console lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageJoe View Post
I have been looking for the upright mahogany version of that blonde set for years. Anyone know where one can be found? Thanks all!
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...769#post652769

Yes, I had one of each, though not at once.
__________________
tvontheporch.com
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Captain Video's Avatar
Captain Video Captain Video is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Brazil.
Posts: 1,014
The upright version is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.