Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Stromberg-Carlson TC 10-H "Manhattan" restoration

I picked this set up at an estate sale this morning. This is the first SC of any type I've ever seen for sale so was really excited when I discovered what it was with your help. No one else there was even remotely interested in it and seem surprised that I was. That's fine by me.


Here it is arriving at my place.



The only issue I can see is the missing "Opera Glass" push-button knob. I assume that will be impossible to find


There's a little veneer separation, but looks like an easy repair and refinish task.


The chassis looks to be all original and unmolested.


Oooh - looks like fun


Here's the continuous tuning mechanism.


The tuning mechanism is functional. Here's a little video of it in action. Very cool - I wonder how well it actually works though

The Sylvania 10BP4 tests OK, but exhibits a purple glow while testing. I assume that's bad




Overall not too bad I think. Now I just need to make it look like this one: http://www.myvintagetv.com/tc10.htm
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 06-06-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
This set looks extremely well built, like a broadcast studio monitor. I like the tuning system as well. Good luck with the restoration, it should make really great pictures.
Cliff
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Bob, this is a superb score!

The purple glow looks like it's on the surface of the glass, I don't think it'll hurt anything, I've seen it before. If it was really gassy I doubt it would check OK, you could always stick it in another set and try it.

I had the opportunity to look at one of these up close for possible restoration but it was a mess so it didn't happen.

One odd thing is the way the channel selector is attached with a set screw, i could NOT get the knob off to save my life, it was loose and spinning but wouldn't come off the shaft no matter how hard I tried.

There might be a possibility the owner of that set might have the fine tuning knob and be willing to part with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 PM
jeyurkon's Avatar
jeyurkon jeyurkon is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 1,699
About the 10BP4, in the photo it almost looks like the glass is glowing. Is that the case? Maybe it's just the way the photo was taken, but it doesn't look like what I'd expect from a gassy CRT.

John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Steve K Steve K is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 503
That missing knob is actually the "Opera Glass" or something like that. It electronically magnifies the picture when pushed. Fine tuning is just done with the large channel knob.

Steve
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 649
Quote:
The only issue I can see is the missing "opera house" push-button knob. I assume that will be impossible to find
Before the internet it would have been impossible to find. Not now. I happen to have a spare "Opera Glass" knob. PM me.

Great find, not too many of those around. I found mine at a flea market.
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Nice set... I agree about the purple glow... may just be electrons hitting the glass surface (unless the perspective in the photo is very misleading)...can you move it around with a small magnet?
CRT removal looks to be a real ship in a bottle deal... how do you get it out? I hope the instructions don't say "break neck to remove CRT"
jr
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post
About the 10BP4, in the photo it almost looks like the glass is glowing. Is that the case? Maybe it's just the way the photo was taken, but it doesn't look like what I'd expect from a gassy CRT.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Nice set... I agree about the purple glow... may just be electrons hitting the glass surface (unless the perspective in the photo is very misleading)...can you move it around with a small magnet?
CRT removal looks to be a real ship in a bottle deal... how do you get it out? I hope the instructions don't say "break neck to remove CRT"
jr

I'm not sure. I've seen glass glow blue before in tubes that worked fine, but purple is new for me. I just packed it away for the evening, but I'll pop it open again and examine that glow more closely soon.

All aspects of this sets construction seems a little weird to me. I suspect the whole front panel comes off and then the CRT can be removed without to much hassle. I think the ion trap magnet is a little odd as well. I'm used to the dual pole magnets in my Admiral sets.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 06-04-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
I've seen that purple glow in testing these older crts before. It seems to be caused by the ion trap. Move the trap around and see if that glow shifts with it. The first time I saw that glow on a 14" crt, I panicked, but it works fine, and so has the 10BP4, 21amp4, and whatever that 17" crt is that I have subsequently tested and seen that sinister glow on.

I guess the cathode is emitting enough ions during testing that when they smack the neck of the tube (steered there by the ion trap) they emit enough energy on impact to cause the glow?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 PM
ohohyodafarted's Avatar
ohohyodafarted ohohyodafarted is offline
Bob Galanter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Whitefish Bay, Wi (Milwaukee)
Posts: 1,080
Great Score! I have wanted one of these for a long time but they are always pricey, so you did real good getting this at an estate sale.

I have a console version of this set, with the same chassis. IT is NOT fun to recap this one because part of the chassis is in the verticle plane and it is difficult to work on.

The "Opera Glass" knob simply pushes the shaft and activates a switch on the chassis to magnify the picture.

I worked long and hard on my set and was never able to get the linearity on the thing to look decent, and had a difficult time filling the entire crt with the picture unless the linearity was way out of round.

Good luck and keep us posted on your restoration.
__________________
Vacuum tubes are used in Wisconsin to help heat your house.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Thanks for all the info and encouragement guys! I had a feeling this set was a bit beyond the usual when I spied it Just how rare do you suppose these are
This is a perfect example of a case where the elderly owner had kept every single TV, radio and phonograph he ever owned. Quite the time capsule!

I'm not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll do my best to make it soon. I think I need an apprentice...
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Tom Albrecht's Avatar
Tom Albrecht Tom Albrecht is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 683
Purple glow is usually nitrogen gas (otherwise known as air). Blue on the glass is OK. So I'm a little less optimistic than the others about your CRT. Will wait to hear out it turns out. Very nice set!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 AM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Yeah Nitrogen => purple that's what I was thinking
Nuts again, I just noticed that the front left tuning slug has become detached from the riser. That should be fun to fix.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 AM
tvdude1 tvdude1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 501
tc 10

I know a radio collector that has a TC 10 in a storage locker thats clean that he may want to part with. I am not interested because I have a NOS set still in the box. If someone is interested I can get his phone number for you.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
John Marinello's Avatar
John Marinello John Marinello is offline
<-- "Byron"
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 1,124
I think the ion trap magnet is a little odd as well. I'm used to the dual pole magnets in my Admiral sets.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be common on rebuilt CRTs, they just stick single-field guns in them.

Nice TV!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.