Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Thanks. I think practice and patience is the key. It took hours to fill in the grain and sand it smooth. Now, I need to wait a few days to let the lacquer fully cure before rubbing it out.

As for the toner - you just need to practice on some scraps. Once you get the right distance, speed and spacing of your passes with the spray can, it's pretty easy.

I posted a couple videos on the project to my youtube channel. I'll put up part three soon.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-01-2010, 11:35 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
A friend stopped by today and commented on the design of this set's four long legs. It hadn't occurred to me, but I guess this is a fairly unique design. Sort of a tabletop with it's own table built in

Were there other sets with long legs like this ?
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 AM
ha1156w's Avatar
ha1156w ha1156w is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 148
That is some seriously impressive veneer work. I applaud your skills!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Another progress update

I've been slowly touching up the control area and working on the "picture frame".

The were many dings on the slats and around the control decals.


I used Howard's Restore-a-Finish to clean and work out the blemishes.
Then, I used a small brush and lacquer (clear or toned depending on the damage) to fill the dings in.


Once dry, I sanded them flush being careful not to break through to the wood. It took several passed to fill the deeper ones.
A more traditional (and quicker!) method would be to melt a tinted shellac stick into the dings, but it's something I've never tried.


Then, I clear coated it with several coats of semi-gloss lacquer.


Loads of dings in the frame too. I used some mahogany wood filler on the larger ones and shellac on the smaller.


I spruced up the front panel with some red mahogany minwax stain.


That leaves one major task - mask off the frame and paint the inside bead metallic gold.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 10-22-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
WOW!!!
Another amazing restoration!
jr
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Phil Nelson's Avatar
Phil Nelson Phil Nelson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Were there other sets with long legs like this ?
Sure, my Westinghouse H-181. Oh, wait -- the chassis is stamped Philco in the back!

Phil

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Animated GIF - very nice Are other Westinghouse models re-branded too ?
I've head these guys referred to as a "tabletop on stilts".
I'm a little surprised at how many variations of this set they cranked out. It seems like a somewhat primitive design for 1949


Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
WOW!!!
Another amazing restoration!
jr
Thanks! Of course, I still need to get it working
The chassis is nasty looking, but I think it's in good shape underneath the gunk.
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 10-23-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
I'm pretty excited about this resto-I have seen a lot of these, but they are always trashed. We owned a pretty nice cabinet for one for a couple of years, before giving up on finding a chassis and dumping it. They seem to have been fairly popular, so perhaps they filled a niche for people that wanted a cheap floor model (possibly cost just a few dollars more than a table model).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-23-2010, 01:32 AM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Aw, that stinks! Once my GE810 is done, I think I'll tackle the Philco 60 I just picked up then jump into this chassis.
I fear it's going to take a while...
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
That is some incredible work Bob!
I think I'll go throw my Westinghouse cabinet away now, I know I can never do a job that good.

As for a Philco connection to Westinghouse, the H-619 I'm restoring in another thread has the Philco style corners on the chassis, where Philco uses the rubber isolation mounts.
I don't know if it ever used them or not though, and since it was probably a patented Philco design I think possibly they built the chassis for WH, or at least did the metal stamping.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
Excellent job, Bob, and great touch-up on the dial area. Whew!
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Thanks guys! It all would have been a lot easier if I could have broken down the cabinet, but it's built like a tank. Lots of glue blocks and wood screws reinforcing the joints.

I finished off the picture frame this afternoon. I roughed up the lacquer that sprayed onto the inner lip so it would accept paint more readily.
Then masked it off and gave it a few light coats of Rustoleum Specialty Metallic Gold.


Here it is with the safety glass temporarily reinstalled. Much classier looking now I think


I'll touch up the inner screen surround with some "ivory bisque" AKA "off-white". They sure do have a lot of silly paint names these days.
That leaves one cosmetic task. The channel selector plate is in rough shape.


I believe the dealer would pop in up to eight tuning strips for your particular area.
How strange that the first position is labeled "1-2" in 1949. Perhaps this plate was used in earlier Philco sets too
The rest of the sequence is 3, 4, 5-6, 7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13.

I'm considering fabricating a new one from scratch or perhaps someone out there has a spare one in better condition ?
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery

Last edited by bandersen; 11-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 PM
Red Raster's Avatar
Red Raster Red Raster is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Prince George B.C. Canada
Posts: 184
WOW! from a train wreck to a proud display set. I have three eye sores hidden in the basement, now i'm all guilt ridden.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
I'ts a MUSEUM piece! With your restoration talents, you SHOULD quit your day job! Glad to have the likes of you and Phil Nelson around!

Joe L’Erario and Ed Feldman could really learn sumpin' from you!

Cheers,
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM
bandersen's Avatar
bandersen bandersen is offline
RCA 741PCS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Raster View Post
WOW! from a train wreck to a proud display set. I have three eye sores hidden in the basement, now i'm all guilt ridden.
Thanks! Don't feel guily though. It's a messy, nasty process. Lots of fumes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I'ts a MUSEUM piece! With your restoration talents, you SHOULD quit your day job! Glad to have the likes of you and Phil Nelson around!

Joe L’Erario and Ed Feldman could really learn sumpin' from you!

Cheers,
LOL "The Furniture Guys". I had to look those names up

I grew up watching Roy Underhill on the Woodwright's Shop. Probably why I rarely use power tools

I wish I could quit the three jobs I'm currently juggling. I just don't have the time to sling much solder right now.

On the other hand, my jobs involve sitting in front of a computer at all hours of the day and night so I get to post a lot and search for more treasures on ebay
__________________
Here are my Vintage Radio & TV YouTube Channel and Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.