Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
miniman82's Avatar
miniman82 miniman82 is offline
First Light: 1952-2011
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 4,183
I'm with Bob when it comes to the 15G. If you have one with good emissions and getters, it's probably best to leave it alone. After all, it held vacuum for the last 58 years without any help so why fix what isn't broken. If on the other hand you need a rebuild, the full protocal of leak sealing ought to be applied whether it was still under vacuum or not. As proven by the rebuild attempt of John's under vacuum tube, leaks can pop up even if you assume the thing was good before. It still took a full 30 days for John's tube to become gassy, so it may start out good and deteriorate. I think in the future, 15G owners will likely opt to have the tube treated with frit regardless if it was still under vacuum or not.
__________________
Evolution...
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 PM
John Folsom's Avatar
John Folsom John Folsom is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne Florida
Posts: 932
Power up!

Chuck A was up over the weekend, so we decided to give the Crosley a try. Saturday evening we swapped out the dud 30BP4 for the spare I had. After a lot of adjusting and hooking things up, we connected the variac and brought it up. Nice aucio, but that was all. No high voltage. Kind of a let down. We called it quits for the evening.

Next morning we put the 2 chassis, yoke/focus coil assembly and speaker on the work bench and hooked it all up. First discovery was a blown fuse (which I had tested good earlier). We replaced it and began looking for high voltage.

But here is where I made a really stupid error. Using my B&K HV probe which is a 1000:1 divider, I misread the meter. It was showing voltages (at various times) between 1.1 and 2.0 volts. I was calling this 11K - 20K volts, and we spent the whole day trying to figure out why the high voltage was low and unstable. It would go from 15-16KV down to 11KV or less as thing warmed up. Swapping tubes, checking wiring, freeze spray, nothing we tried was any use.

Chuck A departed back down to south Florida in the morning. Later that afternoon I sat down to have another go at it. Apparently my brain was actually working, and I realized that the meter had been telling us that there was ONLY 1.1-2.0 KV! And yet, using a screwdriver, one could get a big purple arc from the plate of the first 1B3 in the HV doubler. I immediately realized that this meant the rectifiers were not working, probably because the filaments were not being lit. The tubes derrive their filament voltage from the sweep flyback, not the HV flyback. I put two solid state 1B3 replacements in and go 28KV. Hooray!

A check of the bias on the two 6BG6s driving the sweep flyback revealed no screen grid bias. The 3K ohm 10W bias resistor (which had ohmed as good earlier) was open. With a replacement installed and the 1B3s back in, I got a robust 20KV. After things warmed up, it settled at 18KV plus.

I tested all the tubes on the TV chassis, and found none to be bad. I reinstalled everything back in the cabinet, and after some adjusting of the yoke and focus coil and centering lever, gat a very presentable picture. I actually looks much better than these photos indicate.







This CRT works even better than I hoped. Plenty of brightness and contrast. Next time Chuck A is up, we will do setup on the V&H size and lin, and play with the pincushion magnets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OP 1.jpg (35.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg OP 3.jpg (31.5 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg OP 2.jpg (36.1 KB, 170 views)
__________________
John Folsom
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 838
I am jealous.....Nice Set!!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Thats one handsome TV set! I've never seen a round screen 30 incher!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I'm in love...Hats off to you guys !
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #81  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Zenith6S321's Avatar
Zenith6S321 Zenith6S321 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Posts: 303
Wow, that is an extremely impressive set! Way to go!

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 AM
tubetwister tubetwister is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: west blue coast conservative
Posts: 163
Ditto I'm impressed.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Kinda sad, really...How many of those Dumont/Crosley sets are still around after 60 yrs, & how many still WORK ? And now that Scotty/Hawkeye has thrown in the towel, there will likely NEVER be anymore ever rescued...Says something pretty damning, to me, anyway, that w/all our grand & glorious 2012 technology, we CAN'T bring an obsolete television back to life....Well, except for a small group of Mad Monks, maybe....(grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,552
That looks great, John.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM
ggregg's Avatar
ggregg ggregg is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Kinda sad, really...How many of those Dumont/Crosley sets are still around after 60 yrs, & how many still WORK ? And now that Scotty/Hawkeye has thrown in the towel, there will likely NEVER be anymore ever rescued...Says something pretty damning, to me, anyway, that w/all our grand & glorious 2012 technology, we CAN'T bring an obsolete television back to life....Well, except for a small group of Mad Monks, maybe....(grin)
+1 and I'm thinking maybe this is the only working one, with a picture anyway. Could be wrong. Nice work all around. Great to see one of these behemoths working.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #86  
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
John Folsom's Avatar
John Folsom John Folsom is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne Florida
Posts: 932
I am aware of at least 2 or 3 working DuMont 30" sets (I have one), and there are probably a few more. The ETF website shows 8 sets known, not sure how many are working.
__________________
John Folsom
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 PM
ggregg's Avatar
ggregg ggregg is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 702
Yeah, I shoulda known. Sorry, John.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 PM
mstaton's Avatar
mstaton mstaton is offline
"Book em Dano!"
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Caldwell, Id
Posts: 1,609
My friends uncle owned a TV shop that closed in the 90's. he has one of those 30" CRT's at his house. if I ever get over there, I might try to buy it in case someone here needs one.
__________________
"It's a mad mad mad mad world" !!
http://www.youtube.com/user/mwstaton64?feature=mhee
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Bill Cahill's Avatar
Bill Cahill Bill Cahill is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, Fl.
Posts: 1,298
Very nice, John! And, you only had to take it apart twice!!

Seriously, nice job on a very nice set. I saw the set in your garage when I came. I fell in love with it then....
Bill Cahill
__________________
"Tubes are those little glass things that light up orange unless there is a short.. Then they light up all pretty colors..."
Please join my forum.
http://www.tuberadioforum.com/
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
I am aware of at least 2 or 3 working DuMont 30" sets (I have one), and there are probably a few more. The ETF website shows 8 sets known, not sure how many are working.
Now that you have two working 30 inch sets you should put a 72 inch color wheel on at least one of them.

Cliff
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.