Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #27  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM
frenchy frenchy is offline
Frenchy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Moreno Valley CA
Posts: 534
Mentioned at the start of the thread - running sets without the HV cage. If this did help cooling a bunch, is it a good idea other than that? I was thinking it might be asking for trouble if a wire elsewhere in the set happened to stray over there while it was running, though precautions could be taken in that case. Other than that there is the basic safety factor of some kid sticking a screwdriver thru the back or whatever. Also would lack of the cage make arcing less of an issue, since then there wouldn't be a cage there for arcs to jump to?

Also mentioned was using a solid state HV rectifier. I still do that in some of my color sets (not my b/w sets), but have heard scary things about them possibly shorting and then taking the flyback out along with them. I have left them in though. I also use the little solid state focus rectifier substitutes and worry less about those since the voltage is only 1/3 of the ultor voltage. I simply like the idea of taking those two filament loads off the flyback so it doesn't get as hot in the first place regardless of cooling methods, but I guess if one of the SS plugins ever does kill one of my flybacks I'll change my mind. : )

I've thought about adding fans and such but as noted, I would definitely worry about that bringing in lots more extra dust. In the long run, I run my sets infrequently enough and for such short periods when I do, I'm not really worried about the flyback getting any more melted than when I got the set, nor about those SS diodes shorting out.
Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.